Sunday, April 15, 2012

So Guess Who Already Got Hurt? – First Full Day In El Salvador

So Guess Who Already Got Hurt? – First Full Day In El Salvador (Sat. 4/14/12)

     Jesse, Shaquanah, and I arrived safely Friday night. We walked off the plane and immediately we could feel the humidity and heat. After going through customs and getting our luggage, we met Randy and Karen Gilbert, the missionaries that we’ll be living with. We got dinner and then went to their house. They gave us a tour and then, being as late as it was, we unpacked and went to bed.

     In the morning, I walked out of my room and there in a little play area playing with legos was Noah, Randy and Karen’s eight year old son. Noah and his five year old brother Ben were asleep by the time we arrived at the house the night before, but Karen had told us that the two of them were so excited to meet us. And boy was she right. After I introduced myself, Noah dropped everything he was doing, came downstairs with me, and the two of us talked. It wasn’t long until Ben woke up, and joined us. As I talked with Noah and Ben, it was so obvious how excited Noah was – I don’t think you would be able to get him to stop talking for anything, he was so excited to have new interns in his house. He told me all about El Salvador, all about him and his family, and all about the other interns that were here last.

     Later we went to the park and played soccer, and let me tell you, it took me all of 15 hours for me to get hurt in El Salvador! I twisted my ankle while playing (hey, you can’t fault me for not being willing to give it my all) and was foolish enough to still walk on it throughout the day as if the pain would just go away. By evening, when the pain actually felt like it was getting a little worse, I was upset that my stupidity of walking on it would probably affect the next few days of my ability to serve here in San Salvador. (It’s Sunday afternoon when I’m writing this and praise God that in spite of my stupidity God is healing my ankle and it’s feeling much better and I’m still able to serve.)

     Anyway, it was an eventful first day and I can see that trials are bound to come, especially with being here for six months. But praise God that He is always sovereign and in control. I can’t wait to see what He has planned for these six months. Thank you so much to all those back in the states who are so faithful to be lifting me up in prayer. Please continue to keep me, Jesse, Shaquanah, and the Gilbert family in your prayers. Although it already sounds like we’ll be quite busy, I’ll be trying to keep my blog updated with stories and specific prayer requests (for those of you who have been asking for specific things to pray for – right now, I suppose a specific prayer request would be that my ankle would completely get healed and praise that it’s already feeling better). God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment