Tuesday, February 14, 2012

1 Corinthians 13:5

Tuesday 2/14/12

1 Corinthians 13:5 [Love] does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;

Interpretation:
     Jeremiah 29:11 says, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Psalm 139: 17-18 says, “How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; When I awake, I am still with You.”
     God is love, and here in this verse we read that love does not seek its own. God does not sit in Heaven obsessed about Himself. So what is He obsessed about; what does He focus His thoughts on? You and me. He’s thinking constantly about us. How awesome it is to know that His countless thoughts toward us are all good! There are a number of verses in the Bible that talk about how God’s desire is for us. “What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31)
     More than once, I find myself thinking about some sort of care or problem in my life and my eyes turn from focusing on God’s love for me. I then become tired, worried, depressed, or anxious as I become narrow-minded on my situation (even though the problem may have a spiritual emphasis). What I need to do is keep my mind open to what really matters – and that is, “I am my beloved’s, And his desire is toward me.” (Song of Solomon 7:10)

Application:
     Today, when I find myself getting depressed or anxious, I’ll stop and meditate on God’s love for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment